We are looking for a good candidate to join the database administration support team. The team does provide 24x7x365 (except for Federal holidays where support will be provided on a call back basis) availability, troubleshooting, and tuning to ensure acceptable response times. Database Administration support in the form of advice and troubleshooting is provided to a wide range of individuals including customers, end users, programmers and analysts, System and Network Administrators as well as Database Administrators .
Must possess skills associated with a senior database administrator. Must have significant work experience within enterprise database environments. The current supported database system technologies are ORACLE 10g+, SQLSERVER 2005+, IDMS 16+ and MongoDB.
1. Install/tailor new releases of and upgrades or patches to associated database management product software.
2. Create and maintain database entities, including instances, databases, table spaces, and tables in support of SDE EO administered databases.
3. Make changes to the structure of database meta data and support any application changes.
4. Make recommendations of database migration path to insure optimal performance and availability, which shall be provided to COR/VA PM(s) for review and approval prior to any migration.
5. Review performance of databases on the open systems and mainframe platforms and provide and implement COR/VA PM(s) approved recommendations for improved performance.
6. Write, modify, and debug database specific SQL and PL/SQL queries.
7. Where appropriate, coordinate database administration duties with System and Network Administrators to ensure compatibility with hardware and operating systems configurations.
8. Recommend strategies for problem notification and availability reporting in database software and applications. All recommendations shall be provided to COR/VA PM(s) prior to any implementation.
9. Assist in developing, backup/recovery, high availability and disaster recovery strategies. All recommended strategies shall be provided to COR/VA PM(s) prior to any implementation.
10. Assist in developing Security strategies consistent with VA regulations and policies and industry best practices. All recommended strategies shall be provided to COR/VA PM(s) prior to any implementation.
11. Troubleshoot problems and take corrective action, coordinate Contractor specific technical support as necessary.
12. Support users, other software Contractor teams, and database administrators with problems, projects, and implementations.
13. Analyze database infrastructure to insure compliance with VA security standards, database performance considerations, and reverse engineering of existing database environments.
14. When assigned to VA initiatives, develop schedules and plans, communicate progress to management in both verbal and written formats, identify barriers, identify and evaluate alternatives. The Contractor shall participate in fault isolation for database systems. When required, develop and submit for approval Configuration Change Management Plans in accordance with SDE EO standards. The Contractor shall follow the change management process prescribed by the Chief, Database Support Services when making all changes to production systems.
Support the Resource Infrastructure Capacity Planning, IO data warehouse, and Common Operating Picture (COP).
Support automating OMB reporting and other SharePoint and spreadsheet efforts and increasing the number of data feeds to facilitate responses to data calls, request for reports, etc.
Normalize and populate new data into the current structure, evaluate, import and standardize new data, create new views to assist in reporting, monitor and create new import jobs, monitor performance of the databases, work with ad hoc requirements, and gather requirements from customers.
Provide input to data center consolidation planning.
Self-motivated and assertive
Ability to set priorities and adapt to changes in a quick and professional manner.
Excellent oral and written communication skills;
Ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders at every level
Ability to use discretion when handling confidential information
Strong analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills